Day 54, April 18, 2017 Tuesday
- I haven’t been sleeping in the house lately because I needed to stay in the city due to some family business concerns. So when I got home I took every opportunity I could to really clean up the cage so that Bonnie and Clyde will have a comfortable home even while I’m gone.
- Bugging Bonnie to leave the nest box I took a quick peek not really expecting much and then I started getting goosebumps….. AN EGG!! MY FIRST EGG EVER!! (okay technically Bonnie’s) And here I thought I could never breed anything aside from dogs!
- AVICULTURE 101: Once a month it would be good to wash with soap the bottom tray to avoid bacterial proliferation and growth. Also bird poop attracts ants.
Day 58, April 22, 2017 Saturday
- Finally back home and haven’t checked on the nest box for the past few days so I’m excited to see if Bonnie laid a few more eggs because I know they can lay but to 5 eggs. However you can imagine my disappointment when I saw only 2 eggs. 🙁 Oh well, the books did say they lay 2-5 eggs. I can’t help but feel like I must have done something wrong or lacked in providing nutrition that might have caused Bonnie to lay only a few eggs 🙁
Day 59, April 23, 2017 Sunday
- Routine check and just when I thought that she’s done with laying eggs (it’s now 6 days since the first egg was laid) and WOW! Three eggs! Maybe Bonnie is not yet done laying eggs just yet. 🙂 Can’t wait to check on them again in the next few days. I do hope all five eggs come out
Day 62, April 26, 2017 Wednesday
- Four eggs! It’s still adding up! Just when I thought we’re done Bonnie still adds one more! Woohoo!
Day 64, April 28, 2017 Friday
- Awhile back I was able to read somewhere that one of the signs of females about lay eggs is when you can see that them making one huge dump. Like something you know a normal lovebird wouldn’t do. Peeking into the cage I saw exactly that: ONE HUGE DUMP. So when I peeked into the nest box It was a delight to see 5 eggs! YES! She did very well! 5 eggs total!
- Now comes the hard part, hoping all 5 eggs will hatch. It has been 10 days since I saw the first egg. I will guess that within 15-20 more days the eggs will start hatching.
- Also did egg candling, 4 out of 5 are sure fertile, the 5th one I think is the newly laid one, will check this one in the coming week.
- Got home to the news that Clyde flew away…
Day 79, May 13, 2017 Saturday
Day 80, May 14, 2017 Sunday
Day 82, May 16, 2017 Tuesday
Day 84, May 18, 2017 Thursday